Worker is a two-pane file manager for the X Window System on
UN*X. The directories and files are shown in two independent panels
supporting a lot of advanced file manipulation features. The main
focus is to make managing files easy with full keyboard control, also
assisting in finding files and directories by using history of
accessed directories, live filtering, and access to commands by using
Worker is free software developed by Ralf Hoffmann and released under the GNU General Public License V2 or later.
2016-02-01: Worker 3.8.2 released.
- many built-in functions, such as:
- VFS support for fast and easy access to archives and remote sites
tar/tgz/tbz, gzip, bzip2, zip, rar, ar (also supporting extfs: lha,
zoo, rpm, iso9660, diff, arj, cpio, ...) in any combination (zip
files in tar archives, rar archives in CD iso images,...).
Access ftp sites without third party tools.
- execute external programs by entering the name and arguments including unlimited history
- powerful mechanism to bind external programs to buttons, hotkeys or file types (e.g. gimp, tar, diff, mount, ...), including inserting names of selected files, source and target directory and much more.
- text viewer both separately and in an embedded pane.
- file search
search results can panelized to work on results file as on regular directories.
- flexible file type system with arbitrary file type actions for single file types or groups of types.
- context menu to access file type actions.
- bookmarks for frequently used directories.
- labels can be assigned to entries to make it easier to find important files.
- volume manager for mounting/unmounting devices (HAL and uDisks supported).
- quick access to already visited directories with breadcrumb navigation: path jump.
- filter file view by string pattern, labels, or expressions.
- Command menu to access menu entries and buttons with the keyboard and not the mouse.
- Breadcrumb navigation to access previous and parent directories easier.
- Info line showing configurable information about the current entry (supports LUA scripting).
- virtual directories to work on files from different locations, can be created from search results, path jump elements, and other commands.
- extensive keyboard support
- automatic directory updates for changed content
- UTF8 support
- built-in configuration GUI
- available in multiple languages
- low requirements (basically only the X11 libraries)