|Latest news: 2013-11-18: Worker 3.2.0 released.
Worker is currently available in English, German, French, Italian, Polish, Russian, Spanish, Dutch, Slovak, Czech, Ukrainian and Latvian. Translators for other languages are welcome. Some existing translations need an update too. Read more for detailed information.
|Worker is a file manager for the X Window System on UN*X.
The directories and files are shown in two independent panels (similar to Midnight Commander).
Worker is free software released under the GNU General Public License V2 or later.
- low requirements (basically only the X11 libraries)
- fast and easy access to archives and remote sites
tar/tgz/tbz, gzip, bzip2, zip, rar, ar (also supporting extfs: lha,
zoo, rpm, iso9660, diff, arj, cpio, ...) in any combination (zip
files in tar archives, rar archives in CD iso images,...).
Access ftp sites without third party tools.
- many built-in functions, such as:
- copy, move, rename, delete files
- create directory
- create/change symlinks
- chmod, chown
- and many more...
- text viewer
- file search
- search results can panelized to work on results file as on regular directories
- flexible file type system with arbitrary file type actions for single file types or groups of types
- context menu to access file type actions
- bookmarks for frequently used directories
- labels can be assigned to entries to make it easier to find important files
- volume manager for mounting/unmounting devices (HAL and uDisks supported)
- quick access to already visited directories with breadcrumb navigation
- filter file view by string pattern or label
- execute external programs and assign them to buttons, hotkeys or filetypes (e.g. gimp, tar, diff, mount, ...)
- UTF8 support
- built-in configuration GUI
- automatic directory updates for changed content
- Command menu to access menu entries and buttons with the keyboard and not the mouse
Worker was written by Ralf Hoffmann. The following people (and other) have helped developing Worker with translations, bug tests or other support. Thanks!
and all the others I've forgotten here.
- Fred Woods for FreeBSD-Fixes and access to a FreeBSD-Box
- Rick Younie for the Debian maintaining
- Harlock also for his debian package
- rno for the french catalog/example config
- Martin Kaehmer
- Pawel Kaczor
- Daniel Polansky
- Jan Windischmann
- Donald J. Maddox
- Alan K. Jackson
- Paul May
- Thomas Bader
- Martin Curran
- Sylvain Cuaz for the "fink" package (for Mac OS X)
- Simon Dick for the FreeBSD package
- Götz Waschk, Lenny Cartier, Laurent Culioli for the Mandrake RPMs
- Ilya V. Yalovoy for the russian catalog
- Amedeo Brunetti and Giulio Canevari for italian catalog
- aaron for pattern rename script
- Tobias Toedter for Debian maintaining and "thousand separator from locale" patch
- Ingolf Schuchardt for access to an OpenBSD box
- Panayotis Papasotiriou for several document filetypes
- Victor Alcazar for spanish catalog
- Kamardine Mohamed for French catalog
- Arnold A.Perne for Dutch translation
- Stanislav Pavlica for Slovak translation
- Petr Korviny and erno for Czech translation
- Einars Sprugis for Latvian translation
- Pavlo Greenberg for Ukrainian translation and Russian translation
- Serg Markov for Russian translation